Once In My Life...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Camping...


Well, our 1st week of marriage was topped off with a weekend of camping! How fun was that!!! It was so nice to get out of the heat and get to cooler weather. It was a little stormy but I loved it!! The winds and the rain came and we soaked it up!...literally! It was so much fun to cook with the minimum and let me tell you...the food is really good when you've worked up your appetite! Matt and I decided to go on a hike. So, he grabbed his compass and we started walking. Now, I was thinking that we were going to go on a hike. :-) You know, the kind of walk that you take on a trail...maybe some ups and downs and some rocks to climb on. We come to a fence with a gate.....and Matt says, "You know what that gate is for, don't you?....It's so the bears don't come through and get to the campground. Come on, let's go!" Hold on. He wanted to go THROUGH the gate and just wander through the forrest. I don't think so. After several minutes of begging, prodding and some words of love exchanged, for some unknown reason I agreed to go with. What was he feeding me to make me do something so crazy?!!!? It could have been the food, the lack of sleep....I don't know. :-) So, instead of going on a hike, we were going on a 'compass hike'. Let me tell you what a 'compass hike' is. It is a 'hike' in which there really are no trails (in this particular case), and you use your compass (imagine that). So, I would go to a place and he would figure out the degrees to which I was going and then he would come meet me. We did this about 8-9 times or so. On our way to each location we had marked a tree (remember, we are in some forrest...it is getting stormy, windy, raining, lightning....). Now on our way back, we had to use the compass numbers in degrees to find our tree that we had previously marked. And because there are so many trees (it was very dense) it's not like we could just say "Oh hey...there's our tree!" We had to FIND it. :-) Through the cold stormy weather we found our way back to the bear gate. "Praise the Lord!" is what I was thinking....and Matt was saying "Lets write all the compass numbers down so we can come back later and do it again!". Oh, my cute husband! I'm so glad we are so different and we can learn from each other! I'm sure we will cherish these memories forever!

Oh...I forgot to mention that we "got" to use our emergency ponchos that my very prepared husband had in his pockets! I love him so much!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Life's Passionz said...

That is a classic story. Loved it! Just think - this is just the beginning - you will have sooo many more to tell your children. :o)

20/7/06 7:35 AM  
Blogger Terri and Mark said...

My Dad calls this type of hiking "bushwacking"...just be glad you had a compass. My old man hikes using landmarks. Half the time he can't find his car and is out past dark. Some people just like living on the edge. I'm not one of them. Great photo of you guys!!

20/7/06 1:20 PM  
Blogger Matt Barrett said...

Wanted to come say hi.

We had a similar camping experience in our first year of marriage. You were much kinder than my wife was. I still hear about it... 12 years later. But, we laugh - or at least she laughs at me when she tells the story.

Congrats on the wedding!

20/7/06 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home