Once In My Life...

Friday, January 19, 2007

The NAME...

Vosburgh. Guess what I did today?!!!!!????? I FINALLY changed my name LEGALLY! :) It is so exciting and I am proud to say I am truly, officially (not that I really needed the legal consent of the United States) a VOSBURGH! :) I went and did it, and boy am I glad! I went in and got there right on time....9 a.m. ....when they open. Now, I totally know it's the social security office, and to think that I could get there when they open and expect no line is crazy....so, I didn't expect it. But, I did expect to get in and get out in no time....(no time meaning....15-20 minutes.....). Let's just say that did NOT happen.
Thank God I had been there previously to "check it out" ....and they told me...the later part of the week is the best time..."even in the mornings before we open we have a line"....etc. So, I went expecting to wait a bit.....when I got there at 9:01 a.m. there were like 100 + people already.....I'm not kidding. I'm totally NOT exaggerating! But, I can say, that after my freezing COLD wait outside (because you can't have drinks or phones turned on in there....) of nearly two hours they FINALLY called my number and I almost screamed from excitement. I was imagining the number A38 being called out and everyone else in the room bursting out in cheers and hooray's! But, there were no cheers except for the ones in my head :) as I began a slight jog to Window # 3.

Now, here is the problem with this place: As I'm sure you know, people go there for all sorts of things.....so, apparently "name changes" were "A"s....there were also "B"s and "C"s........BUT...it's not like they have 5 people doing "A"s and 5 people doing "B"s....etc. Out of the 11 or 12 windows they had, only 4 or 5 were open and all the people were doing everything....so they would call out an "A" number, then 2 or 3 "B" numbers...then 1 or 2 "C" numbers.....then...well, you get the drift. These type of waits drive me fricken' batty!!!!! But, thank God my husband entertained me on the phone for part of the time...even if we were just breathing on the phone together. :) That's true love. :) Hee hee. I told him that when we have kids, it's his responsibility to get them their social security cards.... :) Ha ha. I guess that's only fair since we have to go through the 9 months of carrying the child and then the labor....

So, anyway...I made it through the door without going crazy from the wait and even had a nice little chat with the nice lady from Puerto Rico who's daughter also got married in June and had also just recently changed her name, although her mom told her to do it before the new year, and who's daughter also kept her maiden name as a middle name and now since the nice lady from Puerto Rico is divorced after 20 years she wishes she had kept her maiden name as a middle name too because that's somehow easier to go back to your maiden name if you want to drop your married name.......(and I have no need for that benefit because I am NEVER going to get a divorce..)....that nice lady from Puerto Rico who helped me. :) It's amazing how much you can learn about someone in such little time. :) Such personal stuff, too!

Okay....anyway....I feel like I"m ready for a nap. That sounds so nice. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention...the reason it took me so stinkin' long to get the change...the place is only open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m....and I WAS ( :) ) working from 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. That is so silly why they would have their hours that way...but, oh well. I don't have to think about it again until my husband is calling me while he is waiting there.... :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Congrats on the name change, I remember how good it felt too!

19/1/07 7:53 PM  
Blogger Terri and Mark said...

VERY cool news! I couldn't wait to change my name simply because my maiden name was so boring. But there is something sad about losing your maiden name- especially when you stop signing it. I spent 25 years with the same signature and when I got married, I kind of felt like I was disrespecting my Dad by losing his name. It was weird. 10 years later though-I'm over it:)

21/1/07 6:00 AM  
Blogger Life's Passionz said...

Congrats Mrs. VosBerg or VosBrrr. How is it pronounced? I've never gotten the official pronunciation. Everyone seems to say it differently.

Hey, I did the same thing a couple months ago too! It only took me almost two years. Geez, and you thought you were the procrastinator. ;O)

22/1/07 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home